Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Hello Hong Kong! (你好香港)

Hi!

I haven't posted in a while, but I recently came back from Asia so I'll have a lot of stuff in store for this blog. First off, I went to visit my relatives in Hong Kong. I haven't been back in a couple of years and the first thing I noticed when I got to Hong Kong was the increased population; HK has definitely expanded in all aspects of tourism, business and immigration!

While I was in HK, I obviously ate a lot and was turned into a true piggy. There were the typical things to be had... Tsui Wah (翠華集團Milk Tea, Pineapple bun with butter (菠蘿油 - Bo lo Yao) and of course a quick afternoon tea at Fairwoods (大快活).
 
   
Sizzling Steak in Causeway Bay (not sure of the name, but it's in the Chee On building beside Sogo in Causeway Bay). I NEVER order steak in Hong Kong...unless it's sizzling steak. I've had sizzling steak in Canada and in Taiwan, but nothing compares to the sizzling steak in Hong Kong. There are a number of good places, but I'd ask one of the locals for their favourite sizzling steak spot.


 
The BEST Noodles I had in Hong Kong...for 45 HKD.

Honestly, the best foods you can find are probably in the Food stalls (大牌檔- dai pai dong) on top of food markets. Everything is cheap, fast and GOOD. If you don't mind sharing a table or hasty service... food stalls are your best bet for good cheap Hong Kong styled food. And what's wrong with meeting some new people? It's all part of the experience!

Side Note: Traditional food stalls (ones that are out in the open on the streets) are rare in HK nowadays, but they can still be found on top of food markets and on the islands.  

And how can I leave HK without going to at least one...two...or maybe three places for High Tea! In contrast with the high tea I've had in Canada, the high tea in HK is superb; for the same price you get a spectacular view and outstanding food!

(From left to right: St.Bettys, Cafe Grey Deluxe, W Bar)

I could dedicate a whole blog to food in Hong Kong just because there are so many food choices in HK. There are so many high class restaurants with amazing food, an amazing food and amazing prices. You can walk outside your doorstep in Hong Kong and walk into any random restaurant, and chances are...the food won't be bad. But that's the problem, Hong Kong is such a busy city, not many people have time to cook anymore, many families choose not to cook and instead go out for meals.I enjoyed going out to eat sometimes...but the best food I had in Hong Kong was at home (My aunt and grandma are the best cooks ever!). Restaurants are not where the best food in Hong Kong is found....the best food in Hong Kong is found at home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment